Master’s of Science in Health Monitoring and Evaluation
MU recently welcomed the third cohort of MSc in HM&E students to campus!
The MSc in Health Monitoring and Evaluation programme provides students with graduate level education in the discipline of monitoring and evaluation. The programme equips students with the knowledge, skills and competencies required for effective job performance as M&E officers within health-focused organizations and entities. In addition, it builds their capacity in implementing monitoring and evaluation components and orients them to the application of these components to respond to organizational problems related to information and programmes, with a focus of using M&E to improve the quality of both.
The programme is a two year course that requires students to complete three semesters of coursework and a Monitoring & Evaluation Field Project, which serves as the programme’s thesis. The M&E Field Project requires that students partner with a health service organization, identify M&E needs within that organization, and develop a field project that will respond to one of these needs. Students are required to present their project report orally and in writing to faculty for review and assessment.
The pedagogical approach is highly interactive and student-centred, using adult learning techniques to maximize student learning. The mode of delivery is through lectures (both in class and PC lab-based), seminars, guest speakers, presentations, individual and group work, term papers, case studies and field work.
Tuition is 7.22 million Tanzanian Shillings.
For more information, contact the Post-Graduate Office or the Department of Health Systems Management at: +255 (0) 23 2604380/1/3/4
Programme Aims and Objectives
The MSc in Health M&E programme is designed to prepare participants to serve as M&E professionals in the health field. It equips participants with the competencies – knowledge, skills and attitudes – required to make evidence-based decisions and solve problems using health monitoring and evaluation with the goal of strengthening the quality and use of information for improved health systems.
At the end of the programme, graduates will be able to:
- Generate and use epidemiologic data to inform the design and execution of health M&E activities that respond to needs at all levels of the health system.
- Demonstrate an understanding of strategic planning processes used in public health and the role of health M&E in strategic plans and processes.
- Demonstrate an understanding of fundamental health M&E concepts, principles, policies, and technical approaches to address public health concerns and improve the status and functioning of health systems.
- Apply appropriate health monitoring and evaluation methods and analytic approaches, both quantitative and qualitative, to respond to the socioeconomic context and public health needs at all levels of the health system.
- Apply appropriate health information technologies for the analysis of data in the context of health systems.
- Prepare reports and effectively communicate health M&E findings to key stakeholders.
For more information, contact:
+255 784 705 072
+255 755 810 450
Applicants for admission into the Mzumbe University Master of Science in Health M&E programme must meet the following requirements:
- Applicants must be holders of a minimum of THREE years Advanced Diploma of a related field (after form six) or Degree with a Second Class from any accredited university.
- Applicants who have at least 2 years of experience in health or a health-related field or have worked as M&E Managers/Officers will have an added advantage.
- Holders of unclassified degrees must have a minimum of B grade.
Note that students must be critical and analytical thinkers, have intermediate to advanced computer skills, including Microsoft Excel, and have a strong grasp of mathematics to succeed in this programme.